Charles Rickard Profile
MSc, CEng, FIStruct.E, FIE (AUST), MIPENZ
Charles Rickard graduated from Surrey University, UK with a Master of Science (Distinction) in Structural Engineering in 1975, having completed a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering the previous year.
Charles undertook his initial three years of engineering training with Taylor Woodrow, the international engineering group. By 1982, after an 18-month stay with Alan Baxter & Associates, he had achieved the position of London Associate with White Young Consulting Group (now known as White Young Green). His major responsibility with them was the engineering design and site supervision of construction for the $100 million (1980 value) Phase 2 Basildon town centre development in the UK. Charles also did a three-month stint in Qatar, where he designed a new palace for the Emir.
In 1984, Charles moved to Australia and set up Rickard and Partners Pty Ltd, subsequently known as Bonacci Rickard, then Rickard Hails Moretti Pty Ltd. Over a period of 20 years, the company offered civil, structural, façade and building diagnostic consultancy services in two divisions, while utilising the very latest in design and drafting computer technology. The new company eventually enjoyed an annual fee income turnover in excess of $3M, with clients covering the public and private sector and project values ranging up to $200 million.
In 2004, Charles retired from that business and moved to Neutral Bay where he continued working as a sole practioner. After 4 years, Charles opened a new office at 121 Military Road, Neutral Bay. Initially known as RH Consulting, Rickard Engineering has a highly experienced team of Civil, Structural, Diagnostic, Façade, Aquatic Engineering and Building Dispute Resolution.
The Charles Rickard name is synonymous with quality – He is an industry leader and well respected professional within his field. In 2012, he became Chairman of the Multi-disciplinary Committee of the Institution of Engineers Australia. This role saw him provide recommendations to the NSW Government on the Standards of Certification in the building industry today.
While Charles has all round skills, he has developed special skills in façades, glass reinforced concrete and reinforced plastics. He was technical secretary (1999) to the National Precast Concrete Association for the development of the Australian Code of Practice for Glass Reinforced Concrete (GRC).
Charles is also considered an expert in swimming pool design; his expertise uniquely covering both fiberglass and concrete. He has designed over 20 Aquatic centres in Australia and Asia and in 1987, was technical secretary to the NZ/Australian Standards, AS1838 and AS1839.
Rickard Engineering undertakes building diagnostic work of an engineering nature (including dispute arbitration work) for the NSW Department of Commerce, the Office of Fair Trading and the NSW Department of Education.
Charles has written an engineering training course for graduate engineers. Known as Mentor-CSE, it concentrates on all the issues you learn from experience rather than at University and will be available in early 2019.
Oakham School, Rutland, UK
Surrey University, Guildford, UK: BSc (Hons 2/1) in Civil Engineering and MSc (with Distinction) in Structural Engineering
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers Australia
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers UK
- Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers UK
- Past Chairman NSW Branch of Institution of Structural Engineers UK
- Registered Engineer (Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Europe)
- Member of the Institution of Engineers New Zealand
(January 2007 – Present)
RH CONSULTING ENGINEERS
Providing speciality engineering consulting services
His jobs have been many and varied including;
- Consulting services to Aurecon (A) & Aurecon Hatch (AH). (07-11)
- Abu Dhabi $900M residential/retail/hotel. Architect Phillip Cox. (A)
- Sydney International and Domestic Airport Terminal alterations (6 different projects). Mixed.
- MCA Sydney renovation/extension.
- Qantas Experience Development in Alexandria. (A)
- Pila Group light poles and sporting net structures.
- GRC cladding ACU Melbourne.
- Star City Casino upgrade for “Yuanda Façade”.
- Various car park cladding projects utilising “stressed” perforated steel and aluminium sheeting. Generally for Townsend Group.
- GRC cladding, Flinders Street, Melbourne.
- QE2 Car Park cladding, Perth.
- SCG Façade, working with Townsend Group
- New Royal Adelaide Hospital, working with Yuanda
- Victorian Cancer Council Building, working with Minesco
- Barangaroo, working with Townsend Group
- Sydney Opera House, working with Erectright
- New Commonwealth Games Pool, Gold Coast, working with Paul Stevenson & Associates
- Regular Diagnostic work for NSW Schools, working with DET and NSW Services
- Technical Expert Services to the Legal Profession
- New 25m Swimming Pools, Canberra, working with Crystal Pools
- Numerous Domestic Building Projects with a variety of small builders
Design Certification for concrete and fibreglass pools (Large and Small)
- Compass Pools Manufacturing Group, Worldwide and Australia
- Crystal Pools
- Paul Stevenson & Associates
The company has been involved in the following large Olympic Class Swimming Centres.
- Colmslie Aquatic Centre, Brisbane
- New Commonwealth Pool, Brisbane (Design Audit)
- Bexley Pool (Design Audit)
- Trinity School (Design Audit)
- Next Generation Club, Canberra
Providing engineering diagnostic advice to the NSW Government
He has assisted the Department of Commerce with many schools where settlement has occurred, deriving imaginative cost efficient solutions avoiding conventional underpinning. He has also assisted the Office of Fair Trading on a number of projects, developing pragmatic solutions for insurance cases where the conventional solution would be far more expensive.
(1984 – 2006)
RICKARD & PARTNERS – also known as RICKARD HAILS MORETTI PTY LTD – Director
Responsible for the overall operation of the Company. Over twenty two years he was involved in many projects in all areas of Civil, Structural and Diagnostic Engineering. The following as a sample:-
Water Retaining Structures
Since 1984, the company was responsible for the design of hundreds of domestic concrete and fibreglass pools. In addition, it was involved in a large number of Olympic Class Swimming Centres:-
- Bomaderry Pool, NSW
- Forbes Pool, NSW
- Tamworth Pool, NSW
- Port Stephens Pool, NSW
- Fingal Bay Caravan Park Tingha Pool, NSW
- Bradbury Swimming Pool, NSW
- Catholic School, Forbes, NSW
- Enfield Council, Enfield, NSW
- Dubbo RSL Club, Dubbo, NSW
- Mt Annan, NSW
- Macquarie Fields, NSW
- Eaglevale, NSW
- Tingha Pool, NSW
- Castle Hill RSL, NSW
- Steve’s Swimming Centre, Campbelltown, NSW
- Dubbo Aquatic Centre, Dubbo, NSW
- Rhodes Corporate Park, NSW
- Sydney Park, Sydney, NSW
- Swimming Pool and Health Club, Melbourne
- Healthlands Centre Training Facility, NSW
- Bomaderry Council, Nowra, NSW
- Repair of Drummoyne Pool
- Repair of University of Sydney
- Hilton Hotel, Melbourne, VIC
- Jay Jays Jeanery, Auburn, NSW
- City Golf, Sydney, NSW
- Sydney Central, Sydney, NSW
- Boulevard Hotel, Sydney, NSW
- Maroubra Shopping Centre, NSW
- Park Avenue, Drummoyne, NSW
- 140 Sussex St, Sydney, NSW
- Balmain Road, Lilyfield, NSW
- Norwest Business Park, Baulkham Hills, NSW
- Bathurst Street, Sydney, NSW
- Macquarie Hospital, Ryde, NSW
- Dubbo Hospital, Dubbo, NSW
- Canberra Field Hospital, ACT
- Marriott Hotel, San Antonio, USA
- Rialto Hotel, Melbourne, VIC
- Flinders St Station, Melbourne, VIC
- Missenden Rd Medical Centre, Sydney, NSW
- University of NSW, Sydney, NSW
- Quay Grand, Circular Quay, Sydney, NSW
- Conference Centre, Darling Harbour, NSW
- Ceremonial Court Qatar
- Science & Technology Park, Qatar
- Dubai Airport, United Arab Emirates
- Library of South Australia, SA
- Renzo Piano Tower, Sydney, NSW
- Pacific Square, Maroubra, NSW
- 140 Sussex St, Sydney, NSW
- Roy Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, VIC
- Adelaide Taxation Office, SA (Prestressed GRC sunscreens)
- 229 Macquarie St, Sydney, NSW
- Victoria Station, UK
- Housing Units, Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill, Sydney, NSW
- Housing Units, Epping Road, Marsfield, NSW
- Luxury Dwelling, Stanton Road, Mosman, NSW
- Luxury Dwelling, James Street, Mosman, NSW
- Luxury Units, Penrith, NSW
- Pacific Square, Maroubra, NSW
- Units, South Dowling, Sydney, NSW
- Units Arncliffe, Sydney, NSW
- Units, Anzac Parade, Sydney, NSW
- Units, Mackay, QLD, NSW
Industrial and Civil
- Nuss Removals, Lane Cove, Sydney, NSW
- Port Botany Container Dept, Port Botany, Sydney, NSW
- Moreton Bay Container Depot, Morton Bay, Brisbane, QLD
- Davis Gelatine Australia, Beaudesert, QLD
- Grace Chemical, Melbourne, VIC
- Tahmoor Colliery, Tahmoor, NSW
- Mercedes Benz, Milperra, NSW
- Various pontoon and jetty designs in Sydney Harbour, NSW
- Herbert Street Industrial Park, NSW
- Buffalo Road Industrial Park, NSW
- ‘Big Things’ Goulburn, Taree, Ballina, NSW, Tourist Developments, NSW
- Tangara Train, State Rail Authority, NSW
- Sydney Sewer Outfalls, Malabar, NSW
- Merlion 37M High Tower, Singapore
- OBS Indiana Phase 2, Singapore
- Maplewood Condominium, Singapore
- Millennium Dome, Body Zone, UK
- Victoria Station, London, UK
He has never pretended to offer the range of services of a traditional geotechnical engineer. His Masters degree included a thesis in soil mechanics. He is registered as a geotechnical engineer with a number of local authorities in NSW. Soil testing is limited to manual penetrometer work. However his expertise is principally in the understanding of the causes of cracking due to seasonal moisture change and loading differential with rectification /avoidance of same. A number of schools and churches in Sydney now enjoy the benefits of inground watering systems to control /stabilise moisture in clay soils as an alternative to expensive and often ineffectual underpinning solutions.
His work in resolving differential settlement issues arising from combining piled and raft solutions in sand on the Maroubra Shopping Centre known as Pacific Square in worthy of note.
Since 1984, he has been involved as an arbitrator and technical expert in resolving many problems to do with buildings of all shapes and sizes.
Notable examples are:
- Multiple cases as technical expert in court cases
- Multiple case analyses for Department of Fair Trading and the BSC before them.
- Davis Gelatine Tank Collapse, Botany Bay, NSW
- FRP Water Slide Delamination, Gold Coast, QLD
- Road Failure, Sub Division, Tasmania
- Sound insulation problems – Horizons Tower, Sydney, NSW
- Dee Why RSL Oceangrove Apartments, Dee Why, NSW
(1980 – 1984)
WHITE YOUNG CONSULTING ENGINEERS, UK
(Senior Engineer promoted to Associate)
Responsible for design, drafting and client liaison with a total department of 18 engineers and technical staff, with projects to the value of AUD $130 million dollars. Projects include the following:-
Retail : Basildon Town Centre Development, United Kingdom
Commercial : 2 x 40 storey towers Cairo, Egypt
Residential: Doha, Qatar, United Arab Emirates
Hotel: Doha, Qatar, United Arab Emirates
Special Structures: Old Town Hall, Christchurch, England
Industrial: British Petroleum Chemical Warehouse, Scotland.
(1979 – 1980)
ALAN BAXTER & ASSOCIATES, UK
Residential: Crown Reach, Millbank, London and Housing Association, London
(1975 – 1979)
TAYLOR WOODROW CONSTRUCTION LTD, UK
(Assistant Junior Engineer promoted to Section Engineer)
Initially in the design office and subsequently on-site supervising a team of 5 engineers and draftsmen and organising labourers and work load of site operatives on a day to day basis. Also handled the foreman’s responsibilities for 7 months at Bury Interchange, Lancashire. Also worked on the following projects:-
- Dubai Drydock Complex, Dubai, UAE
- Bering Sea, Alaska
- Douglas Roll on Roll off Ferry Isle of Man, UK